Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Frog Hat For My Nephew


My 8 year old nephew and I were hanging out one day. While browsing through crochet on the internet, he found a frog hat that he said he wanted.
He doesn’t speak that much because he is autistic, he uses echolalia (repeating words another person, tv, radio, etc says) more than his own words, but he said he wanted that frog hat! So I had to make him one for his birthday. I did try to keep the basic design but I did add amigurumi eyes to it. (I am in love with amigurumi) I really hope he loves it!!! Yesterday I finished it up, and my 9 year old had a lot of fun modeling it, and he can’t wait to give it to his cousin too.

(For the directions on how to crochet the frog hat with the pattern for the eyes, scroll past the pictures.)





How To Make A Crocheted Frog Hat


For the hat:
  
I made up a simple beanie using double crochets with a half-double crochet border. I used 2 strands of Caron Simply Soft in pistachio with an H (5.00 mm) hook. 

For the smile: 

I stitched on the smile with a darning needle and 1 strand of Caron Simply Soft in black.

Frog Eye Pattern


Materials:

- size H (5.00 mm) hook (recommended but you can use a smaller/bigger hook with matching yarn, but the size of the eye will be smaller or larger. With the recommended hook and yarn the eye is just under 2 inches tall.)
- stitch marker
- scissors
- darning needle
- polyester stuffing 
- buttons (2)
- yarn (green, white, black) (I used 1 strand of Caron Simply Soft. The colors I used were pistachio, white, and black)

Abbreviations:

SC: single crochet
SC2tog: single crochet decrease

Let's get started: (make 2 eyes and attach to the hat)

Start with white:

R1: Make a loose slip knot, chain 1, and put 6 SC into the slip knot.=6

R2: 2 SC in each stitch around. =12

R3: 2 SC in the first stitch, SC in the next stitch. Repeat around. =18

R4: 2 SC in the first stitch, SC in the next 2 stitches. Repeat around. =24

R5: SC in each stitch around until the last stitch. Slip stitch into the last stitch with the green yarn. (Insert the hook into the stitch, yarn over the hook with the green yarn and drop the white yarn. Pull the green yarn through the stitch and through the loop on the hook.) =24

R6: BLO SC in each stitch around. (SC in the back loop only) =24

R7: SC in each stitch around. =24
*This is a good place to weave in the ends, flip right-side out, add the button for the pupil, and start stuffing. I stuffed until it was firm and then I flattened it out a little by squishing the eye with my fingers.


R8: SC2tog, SC in the next 2 stitches. Repeat around. =18

R9: SC2tog, SC in the next stitch. Repeat around. =12

R10: SC2tog. Repeat around. =6

R11: Attach new yarn to the front loops on R6. SC around in the front loops. Cut the yarn, and weave in the tail.


Finish stuffing, close up the hole and leave a long tail to sew to the hat.

*For a great picture tutorial on closing the hole, click here.




I hope this helps you make a crocheted frog hat for one of your relatives. If you make a frog hat I would love to see pictures posted on my facebook page. Click here to go to my facebook page.

Soft hugs <3