Friday, September 30, 2016

How To Make Basil And Olive Oil Cubes



 It's harvest time! 

Basil is one of my favorite herbs to use and I always have some in my kitchen or in my garden. I live in an apartment, so we do not have much space for planting so I have definitely had to pick my favorite herbs to grow this year and you can bet that basil was the first one we planted! I love using basil in my pasta dishes, sauces, on pizza, in sandwiches, etc

I love basil! 



There are many different ways to preserve basil, but turning basil into basil/olive oil cubes is my favorite because they are so easy to use and you don't have to worry about blanching them or anything else. After they are done, store them in the freezer and they are ready to use at any time. Love it! I use mine for stews, sauces, soups and more. Scroll down for the written instructions and the video tutorial on how I make basil and olive oil cubes and I also show how I use my cubes in sauces.


It's so much easier and quicker to pull out one of my basil and olive oil cubes then to go outside, pick the basil, wash it and then let it dry. Instead, I go to my freezer, pull out a cube of basil and olive oil and toss it into a saucepan and I'm ready to sautee some onions! And if I'm ever out of olive oil and don't realize it, no worries!





 How To Make Basil And Olive Oil Cubes

Ingredients

Basil leaves
Olive Oil

Instructions

1. First, cut the basil leaves off of the plant.
2. Then trim the stems off of the leaves.
3. Next, rinse the basil leaves and blot them with paper towels to get the excess water off and then lay them on paper towels to dry for a little while.
4. After this you can measure the basil leaves and then put them in the food processor with the olive oil. 1 tablespoon of olive oil per 1 cup of basil leaves. Process them in the food processor until the leaves are very small and blended with the olive oil.
5. Now you can put the mixture into ice cube trays and drizzle with olive oil. You can use as much olive oil as you like.
6. After the basil and olive oil cubes have frozen you can store them in freezer bags with the date on them and they are ready to use.





 I had a lot of fun making this video tutorial and I hope it is useful and ya'll like it! My kitty Ziggy was by my side the entire time and I think he enjoyed watching me make this video in between his little naps. If ya'll follow my facebook, I'm sure ya'll have seen "a few" pics of my, sweet not so little anymore, Ziggy.


I hope ya'll try this technique of preserving basil in olive oil. It's very easy and fun to use! If you do, you can use the #basilcubeswithalex on instagram for me to see. If you want to see more videos or have any ideas for videos, comment below. And don't forget to subscribe to my channel for more videos. I try to upload 1-2 videos a week. And, please give it a thumbs up and a share if you liked this video, thanks a bunch!

Soft hug and