Monday, January 23, 2017

How To Make A Yarn Pom Pom Without A Pom Pom Maker!


Yarn puff balls or pom poms are very popular on hats and as embellishments for crochet/knit/everyday projects but finding a puff ball/pom pom maker isn't always so easy. I even own a few and it seems that every time that I need one, I can't find one. This is how I make a yarn puff ball when I can't find my puff ball makers. I think it's pretty easy and fun and I hope ya'll like this picture tutorial! Or for a video tutorial, click here

How To Make A Yarn Pom Pom Without A Pom Pom Maker

Materials

- Cardboard
- Scissors
- Yarn
- Darning needle (optional)

Step 1

 Take a piece of cardboard and cut it into this shape. 


Step 2

Take your yarn and start wrapping it around the cardboard like this.



 Step 3

Keep wrapping the yarn around the cardboard until it is as thick as you would like.


Step 4

After you have wrapped the yarn around the cardboard until it is as thick as you would like, cut the yarn.


Step 5

Cut a long piece of yarn and thread it through the center strip of cardboard at the bottom of the wrapped yarn. A darning needle can be helpful, especially for smaller puff balls.




Step 6

Tie the two ends of yarn as tightly as you can.


Step 7

Cut the wrapped yarn on each side.




Step 8

Slide the yarn puff ball off of the cardboard.



Step 9

Trim the yarn puff ball with scissors.



The End!  

I hope ya'll loved this tutorial and I hope that is was helpful!

I would love to see how you use the yarn pom poms that ya'll make! 
Post pictures on my facebook page, or tag me on instagram @_with_alex

Soft hugs and