Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Chicken Casserole Recipe


Hey ya'll! It's been awhile since I have shared a recipe for ya'll! I haven't stopped cooking (what mom can???) but I have been extra busy this summer with crochet designs and spending time with the kiddo before he started high school! I think this recipe is fun to make plus it's super yummy and definitely my kiddo approved! Scroll down for the recipe below.

I love cooking but sometimes it gets a little boring, cooking the same things every week. A few weeks ago, I started craving chicken casserole. You know the kind right? Creamy soup with chunks of shredded chicken, topped with fluffy biscuits, the epitome of comfort food. It had been forever since I had had a good ole chicken casserole so I set about to make the perfect one for my little family. I love creating sauces and soups so I had a lot of fun creating this recipe. It took me a few times to get it perfect, but even that first chicken casserole blew my little family away! I also shared it in my instagram stories and got several requests for the recipe. So after tweaking it a bit, here it is!

This is not a picture tutorial, but a few helpful shots of the casserole in progress:









Chicken Casserole

Servings

4-6 people 
(This recipe can easily be halved.)

Ingredients

Cream Of Chicken Soup

  • 1 pound of chicken breast (or more for a chunkier soup or if your significant other is gonna nibble while you cook)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/3 cup diced onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1 cup frozen peas and carrots

Biscuit Topping

  • 2 cups Bisquick
  • 2/3 cup milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Slice the chicken breast, place in a 7 x 11 inch glass baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Bake for 30 minutes or until the juices are clear. Cool and drain. Shred with a fork. Set to the side.
  3. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter and saute the onion and garlic for 2-5 minutes or until translucent. Add in the flour, whisk continuously and simmer for about 1 minute.
  4. Add the chicken broth to the butter and flour mixture (this is called a roux), whisk until incorporated. Add the milk and whisk until incorporated. Add in the salt, parsley and pepper. Whisk until mixed in. Bring to a low simmer while whisking and stir in the frozen carrots and peas. Simmer, while whisking occasionally, for about 4-6 minutes or until the soup has thickened.
  5. Add the shredded chicken to the soup and stir until mixed. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish.
  6. In a mixing bowl, Mix the Bisquick and milk with a fork until a soft dough forms.
  7. Spoon the dough onto the chicken soup mixture. 
  8. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 7-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Add extra salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

We like to serve ours with rice or corn on the cob, yummy!

I hope ya'll love this recipe as much as my little family does!